If you have a big chunk of free time, it is best to spend it with your friends or family, relaxing and enjoying yourself. However, if you only have a couple of minutes or quarter of an hour, it is often more useful to do a little productive task to make your life easier.
Here are 10 productive ways to fill a spare five minutes!
Use the time to clear out your inbox and respond to any important emails.
Do you have a friend or a co-worker that you need to speak to? Use this as a chance to pick up the phone and get the job done. You can do this wherever you are (if you have your phone!)
If your desk is covered in junk and paper, spend a few minutes throwing away the rubbish and filing the important things. It will make the rest of your working day much more pleasant, and it will be easier for you to stay focused.
Lots of people fall behind on their finances, but you can spend your free time paying a bill or making a note of a transaction. You’ll thank yourself later for this one!
Back up your favorite photographs of you with your friends and family. It’s always good to have a back-up copy, and you can email a copy to the other people in the photograph.
Network with your co-workers by contacting them with a question, or a follow-up email. This can really benefit your working relationships!
Exercise. Do some jumping jacks, sit ups or push ups for a few minutes to get your heart racing.
Stretch. Sitting at a desk all day can be really bad for your back, so do a few quick stretches while breathing slowly. This will relax your muscles and your mind.
Become an expert. Do you love learning about steam trains, or are you fascinated by World War II? Learn everything you possibly can about your passion so that you’re an expert on the topic!
Start a to-read collection. Bookmark webpages that you want to read later, or buy a magazine or a book that you can read later.
What do you think of these suggestions? Do you have any of your own? Please let me know with a comment! 🙂
Do you hate wasting time? Whether you are at work or relaxing during your weekend, it can be frustrating to feel like you aren’t doing or achieving anything. There are lots of ways you can make sure you don’t end up wasting time – check them out below.
1. Decide what kind of day you are going to have
Decide what you want to do tomorrow before you go to bed, so you know exactly what you are doing as soon as you wake up. Do you want to have an extra-productive day, or are you looking forward to putting your feet up and watching Netflix? People often waste time because they are unsure about what direction they want their day to take, so decide in advance to help curb time wasting.
2. Dress for the day
Whether you are working or relaxing, it is important that you wear clean and comfortable clothes. People often put off doing work or leaving the house because they are wearing their coffee stained PJs, so get ahead of the curve by getting dressed as soon as you get up – even if you only put on a clean pair of PJs, you will feel more ready to start your dday and make decisions.
3. Know when you are going to stop
Once you have decided what you are going to do, decide when you are going to stop. Will you finish work after an hour, or after 6 hours? Will you watch one episode on Netflix, or will you watch 3? If you know when you need to stop doing what you’re doing, you set a mental timer in your head.
4. Create or consume
Are you going to do some work, or are you going to read a book? Many people waste time by doing a little bit of everything at once, saying “I’ll keep reading that article once I’ve finished writing this paragraph.” This means you are working slowly – and consuming slowly. Try and only do one at once so you don’t find yourself accidentally wasting time.
Do you have any other tips to help people to stop wasting time? Please comment and let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions. Thanks for stopping by and reading my post! 🙂
Do you wish you had more time in the day? Sadly the day is stuck at 24 hours, but there are tricks and methods you can use to help you to be more productive and efficient in the same amount of time – check them out here.
1. Recharge for 10 minutes every two hours – this will help you to stay productive and motivated while you work, so you don’t slow down while you’re still working. Get a glass of water and speak to your co-workers – but avoid social media as it can suck you in and leave you struggling to get motivated.
2. Stretch – at least once an hour, stretch in your chair. It will keep your blood flowing and stop you from becoming hunched over and uncomfortable.
3. Plan before you start – one of the best ways to save time is to actually spend a few minutes planning before you start a task. It means you will know exactly what to do and you won’t have to plan as you work.
4. Work while you commute – your commute happens multiple times a week, so use it to your advantage. Work while you commute, or use your commute to tick other things off your to-do list, such as ringing an old friend you haven’t spoken to in a while.
5. Tidy as you go – if you pick up after yourself, you will rarely have to set aside time to do a big clean. You will also feel more productive and focused in a tidy room, so tidying as you go has multiple benefits.
What did you think of this list? Do you do any of these tips? Do you find them helpful? Please let me know in the comments! 🙂