When many people hear the word abuse, they think about physical abuse such as hitting, slapping or punching. However verbal abuse is more common than physical abuse, and it can be just as damaging as physical abuse.
One of the main problems with verbal abuse is that many people aren’t aware that they are being verbally abused. Instead they believe that the abuse is a reasonable reaction to their own behaviour, which can destroy their confidence and self-esteem over time.
Here are 10 clear signs of verbal abuse.
1. Withholding information. They don’t express their thoughts or feelings with you, but they expect you to share your feelings with them.
2. They constantly counter your points. They often disagree with your opinion and berate you. For instance if you enjoy a song they will say that the song is bad, and then they will make you feel bad for having a different opinion.
3. They undermine your achievements.
4. They trivialise their hurtful comments. If they hurt you they don’t apologise; instead they say that their comments were just a joke. This can make you question if you are being irrational or overreacting.
5. They frequently point out flaws with your character. You are too emotional, too moody, too loud, etc.
6. They blame you for things that aren’t your fault.
7. They control all of your conversations together. They decide what you talk about, and sometimes they even try to tell you what your opinion is.
8. They call you cruel or hurtful names.
9. They threaten you, such as threatening to end the relationship if you don’t change or do what they want.
10. They frequently use gas lighting to make you feel crazy. You will remind them about something that happened in the past and they will immediately deny that the event ever happened.
Can you think of any other signs of verbal abuse? Let me know with a comment!