Anxiety affects millions of people every year. In fact, anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the United States, affecting around 18 percent of the population.
Here are 10 thought provoking quotes about anxiety and how it affects people.
1. Anxiety is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn’t get you very far. Jodi Picoult
2. P.S. You’re not going to die. Here’s the white-hot truth: if you go bankrupt, you’ll still be okay. If you lose the gig, the lover, the house, you’ll still be okay. If you sing off-key, get beat by the competition, have your heart shattered, get fired…it’s not going to kill you. Ask anyone who’s been through it. Danielle LaPorte
3. Life is ten percent what you experience and ninety percent how you respond to it. Dorothy M. Neddermeyer
4. People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar. Thich Nhat Hanh
5. The largest part of what we call ‘personality’ is determined by how we’ve opted to defend ourselves against anxiety and sadness. Alain de Botton
6. Nothing diminishes anxiety faster than action. Walter Anderson
7. You wouldn’t worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do. Eleanor Roosevelt
8. Good humor is a tonic for mind and body. It is the best antidote for anxiety and depression. It is a business asset. It attracts and keeps friends. It lightens human burdens. It is the direct route to serenity and contentment. Grenville Kleiser
9. People become attached to their burdens sometimes more than the burdens are attached to them. George Bernard Shaw
10. Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths. Charles Haddon Spurgeon